The weekend

As far as we can tell, the visit Saturday went well. Everyone came home in a good mood so that was good. C left for the visit with no fuss whatsoever - I think he really missed his mom. :( Poor little guy! During the visit I ran 9 miles and my husband and I went out to eat together (yay!).

Sunday morning, Y woke up screaming at 4:45 a.m. I have no idea what his problem was. He may have just been over-tired, may have been teething, may have just been unsettled because of seeing his mom again...who knows. I tried to get him to go back to sleep, and he would sleep for a few minutes and it would start again. I finally got him up and fed him, and even while eating he would just randomly start crying again for no apparent reason, other than the fact that I'm sure he was incredibly tired. I tried to put him down for a morning nap at 7, and again he slept for maybe 15 or 20 minutes and then he was back up screaming. So off to church we went and hoped for the best. I had to stay at church for the second service to help in the 2-year-old classroom, so my husband took the little ones home.

My husband said Y was so tired at lunch he was about falling asleep in his high chair, so he just put him down for a nap. Well...Y took a FOUR HOUR NAP yesterday. Longest nap ever! He didn't wake until after 3 p.m., and then I put him back down for bed time at 6:30 p.m. Then he slept until 7:30 this morning, which is again unheard of! When I got him out of bed this morning, he was not crabby. He was not whiny. Normally the first thing he says to me is "food" (good morning to you too, you little crabby pants!) and then he screams at me if I take too long to get it ready for him. None of that today! He waited patiently, ate a lot, and we made it through breakfast with no crying whatsoever. So, methinks this little 1 year old just needs more sleep than he usually gets. Which means re-introducing the extremely early bed time.

I was so exhausted yesterday, I could barely think. My body was tired from my run Saturday, then getting up at 4:45 with a screaming toddler was not fun either. Then on top of that, we are doing respite for the baby so she came over around noon on Sunday and spent the night last night. And on top of THAT we had guests for dinner last night so there was cleaning to do, but thankfully DH did the cooking (whew!). And the baby slept so very well last night. A few times she woke up and I popped the paci back in her mouth and she went straight back to sleep. She woke up once to eat at 1:30, then she went back to sleep until 7! Not too shabby!

I am having a hard time getting her to nap during the day. This book I'm reading says naps in motion aren't really restful...and the baby will not nap unless she is in motion! Today was the first day I got her to take a "real" nap by herself...she slept this morning in her pack-n-play for an hour! Then she spit up and woke herself up. I don't know if she is just too little to sleep by herself, or if she just can't get comfortable, or if she feels abandoned back in the bedroom by herself, or what. If I try to get her to nap in her car seat in the living room with us, she lays there and just fights going to sleep like nobody's business. Plus the boys are always yelling and screaming and banging and carrying on, it's always so loud! She will sleep in the Moby like a champ, but that's sleeping in motion and someday soon she is going to be too big for me to carry around all day like that. I am already feeling kind of uncomfortable with it. I think just because I'm kind of small and she is, well, kind of big. I mean she's a baby, but she's gotta weigh 15 pounds or something these days.

Anyway I don't know if I'm being too much of a nap nazi or what. Some days I don't put her in the Moby at all (hoping to get her to take a "real" nap), and she literally stays up all day long. She sometimes will take cat naps for 10 minutes or so, but then will just wake right back up. If I have her in the Moby she often sleeps all. day. long.

So if anyone wants to give nap time advice, I'm listening! :)


  1. I would give you advice if I had any - but you kids were always very good about taking your naps :)

  2. Yep, me too. I would give you advice if I had any. Any at all, really, because I like giving advice. But I gotz nothin.

  3. my only advice would be consistency. Decide what you want the end result to be (napping in moby or in own bed), then stick with it! It will take at least a week. And she may have to fuss a little...but she's also very young. We didn't let Sam cry it out until she was 8 months (I think...may have been 5?)Also, do you have a white noise maker?


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, here we are again


Bio mom