best advice

I started getting a clogged milk duct about 48 hours ago. I was trying to do all the right things to get rid of it - heat, massage, frequent emptying. Nothing seemed to help and I was in more and more pain, and literally drops were coming out each time I would pump. Finally in the middle of the night last night I was crying, looking up anything that could help me. I was seriously considering just giving up pumping, except that wouldn't help anything at all because the clog would still be there!

So the best advice I read was:

"Don't massage it as much as you can bear - massage it beyond what you can bear."

And,

"Massage it the way you would 'massage' a bear that was trying to eat your baby."

So I did. I was crying and praying to God to PLEASE just let the clog come out!

Finally at my 9 a.m. pump it broke loose, and milk just started shooting out! Sweet, sweet relief. I got 28 ccs, which I know isn't much, but before that I was getting only 5 to 10 ccs each time.

So needless to say, hopefully that never ever happens again!

Ben is up to 3 lbs 10 oz, and he is getting some meat on his bones and looking more and more like a normal baby. He is eating 23 ccs every 3 hours and doing well with it so far.

Yesterday he got to try nuzzling for the first time, which is kind of like nursing except that I pumped first so I really had nothing to give. Since they are monitoring his food intake they didn't want him eating at the breast since they couldn't really be able to tell how much he got. Anyway it was wonderful until he spat up down my front! :)

I think that's it. I'm on my phone so all this blogging is hard work!

Comments

  1. I'm so happy for you and your little one that you've been able to stick this out as long as you have. You deserve huge accolades for that! I never had a plugged duct, but it sounds terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to give you some advice to 'keep flowing' with a clogged duct and shoul mastitis develop. Please slice large potatoes in thin strips that are thin enough to bend but thick enough to not fall apart. Keep them refrigerated in a container of water. Place them in your bra and it will draw out the infection. I know it sounds a little kooky but I've done it with my last 2 kids and it really helped.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The news

Birth Story

Good news/bad news