Terrible Twos

Miss M is totally and absolutely experiencing the terrible twos. The wrath of this child is something that I hope is not a permanent fixture in our house. Oh, the screaming.  She will just sit there and scream if she even THINKS you are telling her something she doesn't want to hear.  Last night I asked her to get ready for a bath, but then Ben was hungry so I was nursing him. She was running around naked and I asked her to go sit on the potty to wait for me to get done. Cue screaming, and repeats of "I don't want to go potty! I don't want to go potty!" I told her she didn't need to go potty, but just sit on the potty until I was done and then we could take a bath. Scream, scream, scream. Ben finished, I went in the bathroom, she was still screaming and not on the potty. I calmly asked her to get back on.  She screamed that she didn't want to go potty. I told her again you don't have to go potty, just sit on it until I get the bath water ready (no water was in the tub yet of course). She SPAT AT ME!  At that time I decided sleep (for her) and my personal sanity was more important than a bath and, to be completely honest, I nearly smacked her. I didn't. But I almost did. I walked away instead and came back a minute later when I had ahold of myself. Ugh, infuriating!

Potty training for her is basically out the window at this time. I'm not sure if it has to do with Ben, or what.  She throws enormous fits when we even ask her to get on the potty. This all started the last 3 days.  I feel like she is intentionally provoking me to see what will happen, not just with potty stuff but with everything.  Ugh again.

This past weekend was my grandma's memorial service.  After much deliberation we decided that we would go, and just be extra careful with Ben as far as who got to hold him, hand washing, etc.  I knew it would be a challenge with all our kids but it meant a lot to me to be able to go, especially since it would be a chance to get to see family from out of town that I hadn't seen in a long time.

Well, our dear friends Melissa and Jonathan offered to watch the 3 middle kids for us! WHAT?!?!?!?!  We quickly said yes before they could change their minds. ;)  So the middles stayed with them for 2 nights while we were gone. We gave D the option of coming with us or staying at his friend's house, and he decided to stay at his friend's.  So it was kind of nice to just get away with the two of us and Ben. The entire trunk of our car was still full, I think we had like 5 bags packed for a 2 night trip, plus my breast pump and all that gear and Ben's bassinet top/Moses basket.

The weekend went really well. Ben did great. He about gave me an anxiety attack because he started sleeping longer stretches while we were gone, which made me think maybe he was getting sick.  But I weighed him when we got back and he had gained 3 ounces in 4 days, and was up to 7 lbs 8 ounces.  I think all the noises/smells/people etc. made him a little bit overwhelmed which led to more snoozing.

Today is the first day in a long time that I really feel like I have a grip on things at home. Sure I have lots to do, but I don't feel totally overwhelmed. It's a good feeling.

We got a call about Ben's Synagis shot. It is a shot that is given to preemies to help them deal with RSV if they get it.  Well anyway, the lady on the phone was like "You need to still be careful! Don't go in public, don't go to Target, and things like that." I'm like, hmmm, I have five kids, how am I going to just stay home all the time and still take care of my family??? That is completely unrealistic.  I do try to be careful, but to stay home all the time and not even go grocery shopping is just not possible.  Ben has been to more places than I would have liked but I don't really have a choice in the matter.  I feel pretty good about the fact that he hasn't gotten sick yet, and I feel more comfortable with it since he is breast fed. Also the fact that he didn't have any serious breathing problems is huge too; it makes a big difference.

He has started sleeping longer stretches at night, which I so appreciate.  Last night he only woke twice for the night! Of course one of those times he was awake from 1:40 a.m. to 3:30 a.m.  When he woke up at first I nursed him, then once he was done and burped I put him back in his bassinet. He was fussing a little so I brought him in bed with us (yeah yeah, I know).  Next thing I know I'm getting kicked and punched by the kid. So I turn on my phone for a little light...he has his eyes wide open. He's wide awake. So we went in the living room and had tummy time and hung out a little bit until he was tired again.  Bad baby!  That's the first time that has happened though, so I guess I should feel grateful. :)

Last night he was pretty fussy, which I know evening fussiness is normal.  He was like a totally different kid for a few hours there! He just wanted to be nursed, nothing else would make him happy.  So that's what we did. I've been watching The Voice while I nurse so it's kind of like a nice break for me too.

It's snowing, and it snowed yesterday. It's the middle of April! It's awful!  Y was pretty sure this morning that the snow was green. Actually it was just the fact that the green grass was peeking up through the snow that made it kind of look green. I am sooo over this winter.

My nephew is going to be born tomorrow probably! My sister is being induced in the morning so hopefully he will come the same day. Woohoo!

Comments

  1. Hi, I've been reading/lurking on your blog for a bit now as we prepare to foster/adopt. I thought of something that might help with Miss M. My daughter went through a similar stage ( only at 3 instead of 2) and I discovered her frequent fits of screaming were literally a cry for more affection/love/security. I started scooping her up every time she would "rage" and hold her close, snuggle, whisper "I love you". And within a week she was a different child. At 4 now I still do the same when she starts to melt or get in a funk. Getting close to Mama and knowing/hearing she is loved has made all the difference. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try taking some of your advice! Normally if she decides she wants a hug (she doesn't always want one, ha ha!) we can snuggle for a bit and she will calm down. So thank you for mentioning that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The news

Birth Story

Good news/bad news